May 2, 2006

Smelt or Anchovies with Coconut

Netholi is a very small fish and my mom being an ardent fish lover would buy this regularly even if it is a little time consuming to clean it up. Small fishes are supposed to be more nutritious and healthy.

Traditional Names: Netholi vattichathu/meen peera/നെത്തോലി വറ്റിച്ചതു/മീന്‍ പീര .
Smelt, which is readily available in U.S is another form of netholi. Netholi you get back home is actually much smaller in size, but in U.S everything is bigger. I buy the frozen ones which is cut and cleaned. I just have to defrost it and wash it.

Or if you get it fresh, cut off/pinch off the head and clean the inner sides. Cut off the tail portion also little bit. Clean thoroughly. Do the same if you have anchovies.

For 3 cups of smelt, crush together in a stone pestle, 1.5 cup of grated coconut,4 tsp of shallots diced,4 green chilies diced,5 red dry chilies cut into small piece, 5 garlic pods diced, one handful of curry leaves. Crush all of this nicely.

Soak kudampuli in 1/4 cup of water after washing and then cutting it into thin pieces.Now add the fish pieces,crushed coconut mixture, and the kudampuli with the water, add 1/4 tsp of turmeric and salt as needed. Mix all this together with hand.Cook the fish in medium flame. This fish cooks very fast. So add only little water. The water from the kudampuli would be enough. Close and cook until the water boils, then take off the lid and make the water evaporate completely. Add 1 tsp coconut oil when fish is done. Serve with rice. This can be made semidry or very dry. Actually very dry is more tasty.While cooking any fish, my mom never uses a ladle to mix the ingredients while cooking. She holds the pot on both sides,lifts the pot from the flame and rotates the pot both ways. Otherwise the fish pieces will break since it is soft. Sometimes I never get it right and I smash them. But this time I got it right.

2 comments:

Inji Pennu said...

8 Comments:
Immigrant in Canada said...
arghhhhhh.. I have been wanting to eat netholi meen peera..
Tue May 02, 11:41:00 PM 2006
RP said...
Hello, do you think I can make this using dried anchovies? Any idea? Your pictures are tempting and all I have here is dried anchovies.
Wed May 03, 01:13:00 PM 2006
Inji Pennu said...
Hi rp, I am not sure ok. Never tried it with the dried ones. But do one thing,soak the dry anchovies
in water until it become soft and try it out and no salt. Let me know how it went.
Wed May 03, 01:40:00 PM 2006
archana said...
Ig could you please send me some... please please.....
RP, dried anchovies won't work that well, i have tried it. Once you soak and cook it, it flakes off. It tastes "bareably " OK, but texture is very disappointing.
Thanks for posting this Ig, atleast i saw the photo.
Archana
Mon May 08, 10:27:00 PM 2006
Inji Pennu said...
oh-ho,I ate it all. You should have told me then :-)
Wed May 10, 04:17:00 PM 2006
Revathi said...
My mom makes curry ( kolambu in tamil ) with this and it is out of the world. NEver know smelt is another name.. Can u tell me which stores u get it in.. Walmart ??
Wed May 10, 07:28:00 PM 2006
Inji Pennu said...
revathi: smelt is a different version. I think anchoive is the real one we get back home. Yes,these are very tasty. I havent seen it in Wal-mart,Korger,Publix etc. But if you know any Chinese or Oriental Stores that sells fish,then they will have it most certainly.
Wed May 10, 09:06:00 PM 2006
Anonymous said...
Hi there we can get smelt at Shoppers or Giant.As for the dried ones cook it along with mangoes and the taste?!! U tell me after tasting.

sb

nandu said...

oh..so smelt is netholi..i love it fried ..mom makes it so crispy and crunchy..also she makes it with coconut...well...i used to call it fish upperi...still do...