May 24, 2006

Art of Paalappam (Milk Pancake?)

To me, making a perfect paalappam always was/is an art. The cook pours a ladle full of batter and then rotates the pan and makes a mini flying saucer, tiny aliens of the food world can travel on. The speed, with which this is done, looks like a mini hand acrobat.

However, attempts after attempts never gave me that perfect lazy saucer appam. I tried changing pans, changing flour; changing yeast and what not. Even wore a lucky charm.

Then, I would call up a friend to crib about how my appam flopped, and before beginning the cribbing session would casually ask, “How are you? What are you doing?”. She would answer, “Oh, I am eating paalappam and this time it came better than all times!” Clunk! I hate her.

But Ah! Now it is my turn! Any one with lousy paalappam can call me up and I can talk forever about my lacy paalappams. I have learned the art and now those tiny little aliens can travel safely!

Recipe for Paalappam made with yeast

1½ cups of Raw Rice soaked for 8 hours. Grind together soaked rice, 1/2 cup grated coconut to a smooth thick batter with minimal water.Cook ¼ cup raw rice powder with 1 cup water to a thick paste.pic of rice powder paste

In 5 tsp warm water (not hot, just warm), add 1 tsp sugar, mix and then add ¼ tsp (heaped) yeast and mix well and keep aside undisturbed in a warm place until it rises. (Usually for 10 minutes). If the yeast doesn’t rise, then there is no point in continuing. If the yeast rises, thick froth will appear on the surface of the sugar dissolved warm water.

Mix ground raw rice, thick paste (cooled down to normal temperature), yeast mixture and mix thoroughly. The batter should be thick-thick. Add 2 tsp of sugar also and mix again and keep aside.a pic of the batter

Remember to keep the batter in a vessel 6 times the original volume. Yeast is very naughty; it will spill your mixture otherwise.

Okay, after say 8 or 10 hours, it is time for some acrobatics. The batter will be double in volume.

You need an appam pan. You get nonstick pans. I have an iron one which makes perfect saucer shapes.Now, below is a pic of my cute sprayer. I got it from Bed Bath and Beyond.Use gingelly oil which is good for iron pans. I fill this sprayer and use it on my dosa and appam pans.
Very Very handy! (A good buy for India trip). Back home, we use small pieces of coconut husk dipped in oil to rub on the appam pan surface.

For iron pans, spray the pan with gingelly oil the previous night and keep, if you are going to make appam next day morning. This will prevent it from any sticky issues.

Now when you are ready to make appams, heat the pan, spray it with gingelly oil, the surface should completely be sprayed. Make sure your ladle will fit ¼ cup of the batter for pouring.

The batter you prepared might be thick. Add milk (plain milk) to make the batter for thinner consistency, like the dosa batter. Add salt.The batter should flow easily from the ladle and you should be able to rotate the pan with the batter.

Heat the appam pan, spray the appam pan with oil, when the oil starts to smoke, make the flame to medium, hold one end of the pan’s ear, and pour a ladle full of batter in to the middle of the pan.a pic of batter spread completely inside the pan, immediately after pouring

Immediately hold the other end of the pan’s ear and rotate and make the batter spread completely on the inner surface of the pan. This is done in rotating the pan clockwise or anti-clockwise in a 45 degree angle.a pic of appam covered for cooking
The trick is the middle portion of the appam will be thicker and the sides will be thinner, thus forming the saucer shape.a pic of the saucer shape appam

Now cover and cook, until you see the sides the appam detach from the pan or turns crispy. Sugar makes the appam brown on the sides. But don't add, more sugar since it might make the appam stick to the pan. Keep a kitchen cloth near so that you can hold the ears of the pan quickly after pouring the batter. Make sure you hold one ear of the pan before pouring the batter so that you wont lose time.Appam is ready. Serve it with any type of gravy you like. I served it with egg curry. Egg curry is a favorite combination for paalappam.

In the mornings, you know your train has reached some station in Kerala, when you hear the vendors calling out “appam..muttee.. appam…muttee” meaning “appam…egg curry”.

Oh! I miss those train journeys. Holding a 10 rupee note and waving at them to buy the “appam muttee” packed in sautéed banana leaves and some old malayalam newspaper.

10 comments:

Inji Pennu said...

26 Comments:
At 24/5/06 12:18 PM, Immigrant in Canada said...
oh lg.. I miss the island express train stopping at thrissur station in the evening ...and eating the appam and mutta..your appam looks perfect!!!

At 24/5/06 12:51 PM, archanat said...
Good job LG, you should be flying high with your Lacy flying saucer. I do agree that making appam is quite an art and getting it right is no easy job. Well done !!!

At 24/5/06 1:19 PM, Vineela said...
Hi lg,
Really you are skilled.Try to do definetly one day.
I liked the demonstrtion.Beautiful.
Thank you for sharing photos and your thoughts.
Vineela

At 24/5/06 3:36 PM, indosungod said...
LG I need practical training for this can I come over? you can also show me your garden while I am at it.....

At 24/5/06 4:54 PM, RP said...
This post has been removed by the author.

At 24/5/06 4:59 PM, shilpa said...
Thats very interesting post. on my to-do list now :).

At 24/5/06 5:50 PM, Reshma said...
oyee LGjiii, this is high art indeed! let me cry over your shoulders and tell you my paalappam woes, we have an electric stove,booohooo you know the flat coiled one,hoohooo it works great for everything except paalappams, which end up getting dry as the sides get so long to cook ayyoooo so now we have to live with flat pan cake like paalappams cooked on flat pans,boooo, they are soft and tasty , (wiping my tears)but life without the crunchy sides and perfect bowl like shape of real paalappams..ayyoo LG boo hoo can i come and live with you ? ok drama stops, good post here LG ji:)

At 24/5/06 6:07 PM, Immigrant in Canada said...
reshma: i too hv found the same problem with my chatti and the lousy electric coil stove,.. I bought a slightly curved chapathikallu from the punjabi shop..still get a nice lace appam!!!

At 24/5/06 6:22 PM, starry nights said...
I have never seen a more perfect appam.the pictures are so beautiful.thank you for explaining each step especially helpful for people like me.

At 24/5/06 6:46 PM, L G said...
Sarah: Yes, Somehow I find it strange, I can't replicate the smell here for any curries or dishes.I remember smelling the egg curry and jumping up from the berth to buy it. thanks:).

arachana: thank you:) I can take a million compliments for my appam,
since it was tought for me

vineela: thank you so much!

indosungod:hehe.just follow the steps,try with small batches. Of course,that doesnt mean you cant vist:). if are near Florida,i can demonstrate with a small table set in my garden:)

shilpa: thanks:)

reshma: iyyooo! Do you have an iron pan? I too have electric only.
I think the problem is with non-stick. If you get an iron pan ,the iron pan retains the heat once hot.

starrynights: thanks:)

At 24/5/06 7:10 PM, Menu Today said...
Hi LG,
Great one !!!Thanx for sharing.

At 24/5/06 10:07 PM, Kitchenmate said...
Oh.. LG.. You are an amazing writer(really).. i always love to read line by line enjoying the way you narrate things..I love this palappam storis. I make appam quite often, chances are always 50:50 to get a good appam, worst days end up with sticky appams. Now i found the reason, non-stick pan;).. next time when i go to India, i have a very long list of cast iron ones...
Let me try your version.. looks absolutely deadly!

At 24/5/06 10:08 PM, RP said...
State of the art paalappam!!!
Misto? Another thingamajig from LG's kitchen? That rubaway thing is still on my wishlist...have to add this too. Sounds cool.

At 25/5/06 8:47 AM, Janani said...
L.G: a delectable Appam indeed. Toronto abounds with Sri Lankan tamils and I count many close friends among them. Their cuisine is VERY similar to Kerala cuisine.Have had some great Appams at the local sri lankan restaurant.

Thanks for your kind comments on my post at Mahanandi. Janani actually means mother in Sanskrit:)but is often used interchangeably for Devi, Sita etc. Janma is birth. Janani she who gives birth..Interesting factoid: shares the same root word as words such as gene, generate etc..

At 25/5/06 8:55 AM, L G said...
menutoday: thanks:)

kitchenmate: you are too sweet :) When I read back,I always think I am boring people with my stories rather than posting the recipes first.I always hear co-bloogers saying "enough,enough of your stories,we just want the recipes"..
hehehe..but still somehow i end up writing them. did i tell you, you dont need to make any desserts at home, you are too sweet ? :-)

rp: :). I got confused,I thot I deleted it. I was thinking, oh God,RP is going to think I deleted her comment. thats why asked.

janani: thanks:) Since Sita devi is janakan's daughter...hence janani..I think thats what I have read. Just asking.. Yes,I have heard Srilankan "sinhala" cuisine is very similar to kerala cusisine.
I event hink "sinhala" people look more similar to Malayalees than other Indians.. strange,right?

At 25/5/06 10:36 AM, KrishnaArjuna said...
Very descriptive post about appam LG! Never tried appam before, heard about it though. Will give it a try now that I have all the tips in hand.

At 25/5/06 1:00 PM, Ashwini said...
I love love appams. I used to hound my Mallu friends for it :-) I remember this very interesting and apt quote by Madhur Jaffrey, "If a French crepe were to marry an English muffin, they would probably become the proud parents of appams"

At 25/5/06 1:02 PM, archanat said...
Hi,
I thought Sita'yet another name Jananki came from being Janakan's daughter.
Archana

At 26/5/06 3:43 AM, suemamma said...
your paam looks perrrrfect. btw, i looked so hard for an appam picture to put in my blog. yours is awesome.

At 26/5/06 4:19 AM, indianadoc said...
Absolutely true...tis indeed an art...i had to several casualties before really getting it perfect...and in those days I used to be searching every other recipe to get it perfect...

At 26/5/06 4:32 AM, indianadoc said...
I wish I had seen this step by step expanation during my appam casualty days...brilliant explanation for any beginner

At 31/5/06 3:02 AM, Sumitha Shibu said...
Hi lg! Where are you? Not seeing any posts from your side for a while now? Missing your stories!!!Hey just kidding! Come back to the world of blogging soon.Miss You!

At 6/6/06 8:37 AM, Shaheen said...
I like your stories as well as your kalan recipes. recipes u could find galore on the net, its the stories and narration that makes the difference.

At 16/6/06 9:48 AM, The Bohemians said...
Try adding some coconut milk to the original batter, it tastes a great deal better.

-- Fair Dinkum Malayalee from Aluva.

At 22/6/06 2:42 AM, Sowjanya said...
Wow LG, that reminds me of my mother in laws style of aapam with a slight variation.

At 2/8/06 3:35 PM, SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...
Hi...I was searching google for Appam n egg curry and stumbled across this...You have written so well and this makes me think u r a great writer as well as cook....You have every detail covered...I want ot make Appam n egg curry next week and thus the search for the recipe...I donot have any Appam Kal, so I guess I am going ot try in the normal pan and see wht happens!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came across your paalappam recipe, they look perfect and delecious. I made appam using active dry yeast but the batter did not rise at all. But I made appam with them anyway. Does cold weather prevent the batter from rising?

Miri said...

This is the most detailed recipe for appam I have ever seen - thanks so much, my earlier attempts have been flops and I totally understand how you would have felt hearing about your friend's success!

I will be trying this weekend, hope it comes out half as good as yours!

Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

വെശക്കുന്നു :)

Indira said...

hi..wanted to make appam for easter..and ur blog has helped me..ive soaked the rice already ;) and will start the work tmrw itself
kudos to ur recipe

Anonymous said...

Hi LG,
Don't have enough words 4 u or ur blog, Absolutely fantastic!!! Mind blowng! Like Miri said, u have de the most detailed explanation for makin appams & 4 a beginner like me, ths is just wat I need. Just a question though ( I know itz really stupid but 4 an absolute beginner like me, it is kinda' significant)- When u say 'raw rice' do u mean de rice that we call 'puzhukkan ari' in malayalam or is it just plain old uncooked basmati rice? I've seen separate pkts with the label - raw rice, in shops. Tatz Y I asked.V get the readymade powdered rice in shops but wen I saw ur blog,I just wanted to try the real homemade stuff.Anyway, keep up the good work!By the way, read ur article on ur mother-in-law.Great going!Loved it!

Inji Pennu said...

JV,
raw rice is pachari.pachari is not basmati rice, but the white polished rice.
boiled rice is puzhukkal ari.

thanks:)

Zerin said...

hi
the appam post is just marvellous. Like you I myself am an appam fan. Here in Dubai we have branch of calicut paragon, the appams there are just out of this world. when i have appam from there i feel that my appam is just bakwas. but i think your post has given me some hope of recreating a decent appam. Sice i started making the appam i relaized i did not have raw rice powder, but i had some puttu podi on hand and i used it. do you think it will work? anyways i am going ahead with my puttu podi. pray that my appam turns half as good.

bini said...

I just tried to make it....!!
But made a big mistake..........
!!!!
Its tooo watery aftr mixing everything... I dont kno wat wil hapen after 8hours...!!!!

Shobha said...

Hi there,

First time on your blogsite and I stumbled upon it when I was looking for a good time tested recipe for Appam and Stew. I have never even tried to make it,..just had it in restaurants. It`s almost a skill demanding acrobatic abilities. Nevertheless, I shall try this one soon as I am craving for it.
Do visit my blogsite when you find time.
Shobha