May 16, 2006

Green Peas Gravy (in coconut milk)

I was reading the other day about protein content in vegetables at Indira’s blog. I don’t know why people think you have to eat non-veg for protein content. That’s not true at least for Indian people. Most legumes we eat have more protein content without the fat. Green Peas is one such legume.
Excerpt from the link, A 1 cup serving of peas contains more protein than a whole egg or a tablespoon of peanut butter yet has less than half a gram of fat.

My mom would make us eat every vegetable she can cook and especially legumes, declaring while pouring big spoons of curry on our rice laden plates, "this one spoon of legume is equal to 3 spoons of mutton". Well, we would have preferred 9 spoons of mutton then. ;-)
Sarah, I read somewhere you wanted to have this green peas curry? You are a doc, tell us about protein please.

Recipe for Green Peas Curry or Gravy:This curry uses coconut milk – a Kerala speciality for certain curries.

I don’t use canned coconut milk, but If you use canned coconut milk, scoop out the cream first, without shaking the can – this will be your thalappal or thick coconut milk. The rest of the liquid will be the thinner coconut milk.
OR
Coconut milk thicker – Thalappal in Malayalam. This is made just by grinding scraped coconut without the thin brown skin (not taking about the shell), sprinkling little or if fleshy coconut, no water for thicker milk consistency)

Coconut milk thinner – After squeezing out the thalappal, add I cup of water for 1 cup of scraped coconut, grind and then thinner milk is squeezed out.

Don’t throw away the squeezed out pulp. You can add this to vegetable fry mixing with fresh scraped coconut. i.e. for 1 cup of fresh grated coconut, you can mix the squeezed out pulp half and the fresh grated coconut half. That way, you are not throwing away the pulp. You can store the squeezed out pulp in the freezer.

Dried Green Peas soaked overnight– 2 cups. I don’t make curries with the frozen ones, since they are very sweet.

Ginger garlic crushed or diced thin – 2 tsp
Red Onions – ½ cup
Tomato - 2
Garam Masala Powder or Meat Masala Powder – 1.5 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Green chilies - 4
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Curry leaves.
Coconut milk thinner - 1.5 cup
Coconut milk thicker - 1/4 cup(You can add 1/2 cup diced potato, but this is optional)
Bay Leaf – 1 whole (Peas curry gives out an unpleasant odor sometimes, so to make it pleasant)

Cook the soaked peas next day in a pressure cooker with salt. Make sure you don’t over cook this, since the soaked peas is very soft.

Heat 2 tsp oil, splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, sauté curry leaves, diced green chilies, onion diced, ginger and garlic paste, diced tomato in that order. Add turmeric and salt to the sauté. (Remember we have also added salt to the peas).

Add garam masala powder, red chili powder and sauté again for one or two minutes until the raw smell is gone. Add the peas (potato if you want), bay leaf and the thinner coconut milk. Boil the gravy for 6 or 7 minutes or until potato is done if you have added. Before taking out from heat, add the thick coconut milk, mix well and immediately take out from heat.Serve it with rice or roti. It is very nutritious and tasty gravy.

1 comment:

Inji Pennu said...

11 Comments:

Immigrant in Canada said...

lg: I love you!!!! (choodavalle.. ammente aduthu parayunna mathiri aa) I can't thank you enough for this..I searched so many places for this..
Thank you so much
Sarah
Tue May 16, 06:01:00 PM 2006
Vineela said...

Hi lg,
Nice info about peas.I do make peas masala for chapathis.The difference is i didnt use coconut milk.I will add that and let you know next time.
Vineela
Tue May 16, 07:16:00 PM 2006
starry nights said...

I have never had peas curry with coconut milk, but am going to try it
Tue May 16, 10:15:00 PM 2006
Linda said...

When I first started cooking Indian food I bought every dal and legume I thought looked interesting. Dried green peas in my cupboard have been just waiting for your recipe! Can't wait to try, it looks delicious.

Thanks and best wishes!
Tue May 16, 10:37:00 PM 2006
jac said...

After Sarah's chicken...now I will try your veg. delicacy
Wed May 17, 03:50:00 AM 2006
RP said...

Looks absolutely delicious. Can't wait to try it out. No greenpeas at home. :( Have to go get that first! Hey I have tried your red fish curry. A picture is posted there at my blog.
Wed May 17, 09:29:00 AM 2006
Krithika said...

I have always made this without coconut milk. Need to try it this way. Your version looks delicious.
Wed May 17, 10:19:00 AM 2006
Inji Pennu said...

Sarah: എന്നാലും ഈ ഇളം പ്രായത്തില്‍ എന്നെ അമ്മേനെപ്പൊലെയാ എന്നു പറഞ്ഞല്ലെ? :-) അമ്മൂമ്മ എന്നു പറഞ്ഞെങ്കില്‍ ഇടി മേടിച്ചേനെ. :-) ദാറ്റ് പീസ്‌ പോസ്റ്റ് വാസ് ഫോര്‍ യൂ, സാറ!

vineela: Yeah, try this out and let me know.

starry nights:I think it is Kerala specility to add coconut milk

linda: Oh good! try it out and let me know.

jac: vokay jac! Thanks.

rp: Let me know rp,thanks.

krithikaL post your version too,please.
Wed May 17, 11:15:00 AM 2006
Tanuja said...

Hi Lg,

Nice info on peas, I make the same way as a side dish for ghee rice.
Wed May 17, 11:39:00 AM 2006
Indira said...

"1 cup of peas equal to one egg." - Wow, that I didn't know.

I love dried green peas and often add them to my fried rice or curry recipes, but never prepared a curry with them as main ingredient. Looks delicious!
Fri May 19, 08:54:00 PM 2006
Anonymous said...

Nice kerala recipes.
My husband has been staring and drooling since yesterday so I decided to make the green peas but I had difficulty finding it because it is not tagged 'Veg'

Thanks for these traditional recipes, I am Bihari, so I have not ever tasted any of these dishes.
Can't wait to try it out :)
Sat Sep 16, 10:34:00 AM 2006