May 15, 2006

Dry ginger coffee (chukku kaappi)

Please raise your hand, if you have never ever had chukku kappi or dry ginger coffee.
(I hope I don’t see any raised hands, since you have missed out something great in your life. :-))

I have a sore throat and nothing, let me tell you no over-the-counter medicines can even come near this one.You can buy dry ginger powder here in U.S Indian stores. Or you can get dry ginger (rarely seen) from a store here or can bring it from India. Dry ginger is called chukku in Malayalam. Fresh Ginger is sun dried to make chukku. Read about God's own coffee.

It has been raining here since morning, it stops to drizzle for an hour and then again it starts to rain heavily...and chukku kaapi is the best when rain plays hide-and-seek!

Recipe: (for one sore throat)
Dry ginger - 1/2 inch piece nicely ground or crushed Or 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powderWhole Peppercorns - 2Coffee powder (Instant also will do)Boil 1.5 cups of water, then add dry ginger and crushed peppercorn. Boil it again for 4-5 minutes. Take off from heat, add instant coffee powder and jaggery (Or can add sugar, usually back home instead of jaggery, 'karippetti' -- another form of jaggery, is added). Add good amount of sugar, since the coffee is spicy-hot.Hmm...Nice good medicinal coffee! And there…it has started to rain again....I think I am being transported back to good old Kerala. Try this during rainy season, if you want to visit Kerala without the tickets ;-)
I don’t know at what stage of cane sugar making process, this 'karipetti' is formed. If someone knows please let me know.

6 comments:

Inji Pennu said...

10 Comments:
At 15/5/06 4:21 PM, Cooking Theory said...
Wow! Sounds interesting. I raise my hand :) never had Dry ginger coffee before. It is raining here today, I will make some 'Chukku kaapi' as soon as I get home. Dry ginger is called 'Sonti' in telugu.

At 15/5/06 5:42 PM, Indira said...
I know Sonti (chukku) copi, used to hate it growing up and but now love it.

Weather is truly horrible here, I just want to curl up and go to sleep instead I am doing the blog hopping with a cup of sonti tea. :)

You could submit this recipe to Sugar High Friday event, the theme for this month is ginger.

At 15/5/06 5:47 PM, Immigrant in Canada said...
You know I completely forgot abt the karippetti.. Ammachi always used karippetti,, and it took a while to get used to the flavour.. and yes the chukku kappi..it can take me back to Kerala.. and when I close my eyes, I can hear the rhythm of the malayala rain!!!

At 15/5/06 7:58 PM, starry nights said...
My hands are raised too. never had ginger cofee, cant wait to have a sore throat or cough to try this one..Thanks

At 16/5/06 7:01 AM, RP said...
Wow!! Nice post about chukku kappi.
Hey, I have some dried ginger in my pantry, probably 3-4 years old. I got it from an indian store. Do you think it will be still good? Or should I look for a new pack?

At 16/5/06 7:29 AM, L G said...
RP, I think it should be okay. It is dried. I think it might lose it's potency slowly over the years,if you don't store it in an air-tight container,but it should be okay.

At 16/5/06 7:34 AM, L G said...
Sarah, don't you think the rains in Kerala have different rythm,smell and grace of it's own?
I wish it rains everyday when I am back home,except when I am shopping ;-)My husband teases me saying, I am overly romantic about rains,and rain is same everywhere,
to him it is as simple as water from the sky!!!!!

indiraSonti copi,now I know what to ask for when I am in Andhra. I checked the SHF event, there is already a similar entry in the comments.

cooking theory So,did you like it?

starry nights You can have it anytime. Cant blv you had kanji but not chukku kaapi.

At 16/5/06 11:17 AM, Immigrant in Canada said...
lg: I agree with you fully..the rain in kerala was different..here it is just like your husband expalined..water from the sky, where as in kerala, it had a rhythm,a feeling, joy, and I could dance in that rain..god i miss my home

At 16/5/06 12:35 PM, Vineela said...
HI LG,
ya,i love your chukku kapi.Grandmom used to give us in winter.Really gingery.Never tried.Ya,you can submit it to SHF by ruth.
I will follow your recipe and try it one day.
Vineela

At 16/5/06 4:20 PM, Shankari said...
i love sukku Kaapi. My mom made a concotion when i went home last time. It has coriander seeds, panna kalkandu, sukku etc. She powdered and sent it with me. I have it in my freezer , when it is cold, I add a tesp or so to boiing water, add milk & strain. It is comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Karipppetti is made from Pana(A palm tree). No relation with cane sugar or jaggery which comes from sugarcane.
Sapna.

Anonymous said...

Karippetti is made from Pana as mentioned by sapna. Its not so easily available in central and northern Kerala comparing to the southern districts as Karippetti is mainly produced in Nagerkoil and Kanyakumari district of TN.

Anonymous said...

Karipetti is made from from madhura kallu (sweet toddy - before fermentation, the toddy ferments if kept for more than a few hours) from karimpana. It could also be made from the regular sweet toddy (either from Kali Pana or coconut). The sweet toddy is boiled and made to veena consistency (very viscous and stringy - well past the Pani stage), poured into a mould and allowed to cool.

Brittz said...

hey.. nice blog.. found it after a fight with colleagues on "chukku is dry ginger or not.."
i jus made this chukku tea usin the coffee vendin machine in our office..
for the office goers n ones feelin the cold.. this shud be a good recipe.. add sugar to cup.. put it under hot water node... press hot tea water twice.. dip a ginger tea bag.. (most offices hav them i guess.. http://www.teastall.com/t_item_final.jsp?prodid=T0180) ur ginger tea is ready.. i don think ginger tea n coffee makes much of difference in its healin skills..njoi

Wynad Exports said...

Karippatty is not from sugar cane, that is made out of palm toddy, called palm jaggery.