Jun 7, 2006

Cheera Pachadi / Red Indian Spinach in Curd

I don’t know why, but whenever I plant red cheera in my yard, it begins to flower even when they are tiny. I think my yard has lots of phosphorus? And if allowed to grow big, the pests start feasting on the leaves immediately. So I am not really successful in growing red cheera in U.S.Cheera, I think, is a cousin of spinach and not Amaranth. Amaranth is a plant with lots of seeds and the seeds are used for cooking rather than the leaves.

Whatever benefits people tell you, I don't recommend anyone eat any type of raw green leaves. Always steam them or sauté them. It is very hard for our body to digest raw leaves and might even cause kidney stones. But, raw salads are so popular in U.S. In Asian culinary culture, nothing is consumed raw except for fruits.I don't have to tell you the benefits of eating cheera, spinach etc. I remember an Indian doc (who is a friend) telling my pregnant friend, if one eats greens like cheera etc regularly, one doesn’t have to take any folic acid.
*** Please don’t take this as a medical advice.

In Kerala, people adore the red cheera than the green ones. Red ones are a little less nutritious than the green ones, and hard to grow due to pests. But still, we only like them red (Maybe we are used to seeing communist red? :-)). Normally you don’t see green ones in Kerala shops and don’t see red ones outside Kerala. I get only a handful of cheera leaves from my yard and not enough for a stir fry. Yet, I grow them for nostalgia. I make cheera pachadi often since I get only few stalks.

Immerse red cheera completely in warm salty water. Wash them thoroughly after 20 minutes, inspect the leaves and make sure they don’t have any tiny insects. I don’t know how hard to stress to wash the leaves in running water thoroughly, maybe a 6 or 7 times.Discard the hard stalk part which is near the root. You can use the soft stalk and the leaves. Tip is while cutting the stalk, if it cuts very easy you can use it for cooking. If it is hard and has fiber, discard it.

Cut them very small. Dice 2 tsp of onions fine and 3 green chilies. Heat one tsp of oil, splutter ¼ tsp mustard seeds and add the green chilies and the onions. Sauté until it turns soft. Add the cheera, and cover and cook until soft like for 6 or 7 minutes. No, don’t add any water please. Cheera cooks very fast.

Take from heat, and add 2 cups of lightly mashed (not beaten) thick curd (shouldn't be very sour) or yogurt and enough salt to this. Mix. That’s it. Now tell me another 5 minute dish you can make which is delicious and nutritious as this.Serve with rice.

2 comments:

Sherly Aji said...

Its so nice.........i prepared twice and i will prepare it on !5th april 2007 (For Vishu)

Thnaks for the receipe.

sherly

Anonymous said...

Your plant starts flowering when small due to root disturbance which causes the plant to bolt sending out flowers. Sow seeds in peat pots and then plant out when large enough or sow seeds directly in the ground.