Mar 11, 2007

Duck gravy Kerala style

While we were living in Singapore I have had the fortune to savor the famous Pekin duck. A whole duck, basted with lot of spices, slowly roasted to perfection. Carved duck meat is then rolled into paperthin rice papers and served. It is worth a visit to Singapore or China only for this. Please don’t try Pekin Duck at P F Chang’s in U.S. They have no clue how to make Pekin duck.

Duck meat is a delicacy mainly due to its scarcity. Fresh duck meat is available here in U.S, a little expensive, but we get them extremely fresh from duck farms out here. We point to a whole live duck gobbling around and they would kill and clean it for us. That fresh!

Duck meat is harder, so you would have to cook it longer. While cutting or cleaning the duck, you will realize how hard the meat is than chicken. Accordingly, use more time in cooking duck meat. Check Asian or other specialty stores for duck meat.

Here is a Kerala style recipe for preparing duck. (You can use this method for any poultry)Cut and clean into bite sized pieces. Keeping or removing the skin is up to you and depending on the duck you get. If duck is fatty, don’t keep the skin. If not fatty, keep the skin.

For 3 cups of duck,

3 tsp of garlic and 3tsp of ginger grated and made to a paste
1 cup of onion

Heat oil, Saute onion and when translucent, add ginger garlic paste, 4 green chilies diced, 2 sprigs of curry leaves. Add ½ tsp of turmeric powder and salt. Sauté well.

Dry roast 6 tsp coriander seeds, 4 cardamom, 10 cloves, 1 tsp mace, 2 stick of cinnamon and grind dry. Add this and 2 tsp of red chili powder to the onions and mix and saute for one minute. Add the cleaned duck and mix well and add 3 tbsp of water and enough salt cook well. Cook until the meat is very soft.

Now, Roast 1 cup of coconut, 3 pods of garlic and 1 sprig of curry leaves until light brown. Grind this to a paste.

Heat oil, sauté ½ cup diced onion until brown, and then add ½ cup diced tomatoes and ½ cup potatoes and add the ground coconut mixture with 1 cup of water. When it boils, add the cooked duck and cook with lid open until the gravy is thick.Serve with rice or roti.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Inji, duck curry looks delicious. And I am going to take your word and go to Singapore just for that pekin duck.
We get duck at our grocery store but Satish thinks it smells funny. You are lucky to get your duck from duck farms. No such luck here!

Maneka Nirmal said...

hey inji...
u know what..i just bought turky and duck from our farm market and made a hot and spicy curry out of turky..and for the duck ,i got a new recipe to try now..but inji...don't u feel guilty when u point those poor birds to the butcher? !! he.he

KF said...

Inji,Nadan Tharave curry looks delicious!Here in UAE also we will get duck from farms,but those are skinny,We prefer frozen one.dear,Its true,I need my hus's help to cut that. My duck curry is popular in our friends circle(hihihi) ,but less gravy.I will post that later.

Anonymous said...

hi dear dear inji,
would u please let me know from where did u get that duck delight in s'pore ???? i am literally droooling ....
congrats for yahoo issue !!!

Bong Mom said...

I had tried Pekin Duck at Penang and couldn't eat it, one of our friends tried roasting a duck last year and their house was smelling like anything -- and so I have been afraid to try ducks.
Your duck gravy looks delicious, any tip about the smell ?

Bharathy said...

Well done,with the yahoo issue..i am a new blogger,posted inji theiyal today,and thought of leaving a note to you,pls visit my blog and feel free to comment and one more to ask you...My camera not in working condition now...i want to add photos for recipes badly....can i use apprprte ones from the net...OF COURSE with a phrase of COURTESY??? pls advice..

Mishmash ! said...

somehow I have a natural resistance towards eating duck but ur preparation tempts me to go for some..especially with that kerala special rice :)

Shn

Mrs. K said...

I was pestering another blogger for a duck recipe. Did you overhear it, dear injikuuttee? Hmmm... I have to watch out this girl.

N A R I YA L C H U T N E Y said...

Inji , Your posts are an inspiration for a bachelors like me to test some cooking on my unsuspecting roomies :).

Cheerz
Thenga

Shah cooks said...

one poor duck.. u didn't even let that get away..and here i was thinking u are fishetarian!

Sumitha said...

Inji I was thinking about the avalose podi and munthirikootu post of yours,such a loss that we lost them:(I have never had or made tharavu erachi,Oh this reminds me of the kada erachi post of yours!:(

Anonymous said...

ewwwwwwwww!

indosungod said...

Inji now I know what you do "duck hunting" by night. The curry looks
must try by the way.

Ravi said...

Hello Injipennu,though I have visited your blog (thru' Indira's Mahanandi), this is my first comment here. I have always wondered about that typical Kerala style chicken gravy. Though I did use coconut, it never gave the same aroma and consistency and now that I have an authentic one, I will definitely try it out.

And I browsed thru' your other recipes as well today and wow! its a real treasure-trove of lovely Kerala recipes. I always loved the traditional cooking (whatever cuisine) and esp Kerala for its choice of vegies and cooking methods with retain the nutritional value. Hats off and thanks for sharing the wonderful recipes with us.

നിര്‍മ്മല said...

ഒള്ളതുപറഞ്ഞാ ഇഞ്ചി തുള്ളുമോ? പുതിയ വിഭവം കാണാന്‍ വായും തുറന്നു വെള്ളമൊലിപ്പിച്ചു മോനിട്ടറിലേക്കു നൂണ്ടുകയറാന്‍ നോക്കിയപ്പം ദേ, വെട്ടിമുറച്ച താറാവുങ്കുട്ടി :( :(
ഇനി മൃഗങ്ങളെ പാകം ചെയ്തു ഷേപ്പുമാറ്റി കഴിഞ്ഞിട്ടുള്ള പടങ്ങളിട്ടാ മതീട്ടാ. എന്തോ ക്യാബേജിനോടില്ലാത്തൊരു സോഫ്റ്റു-മൂല താറാവിനോട്.
ഇതു പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിക്കേണ്ട. ചുമ്മാ, ഇഞ്ചീടെ ചെവിട്ടിലു പറഞ്ഞതാ :)

Sig said...

I think this is my first time commenting here, Love your blog and all the great mallu recipes. I love duck curry, the picture looks so tempting, will definitely try as soon as I can find some fresh duck.
I know what you mean about Peking duck from P.F.Chang's, it really sucks. I had the best peking duck in Beijing..