Feb 16, 2007

Snake gourd barges

I think it is a very Indian tradition to have a cup of chai(tea) and a snack before sunset. Especially you reach home famished from work or school and evening snack is a must.

Usually at home, we open a chips packet for evening snack. I feel a little guilty about it and I am always in search of quick healthy snacks.

I am fascinated by snake gourd and I do think, if there is a vegetable on earth perfect for stuffing, it is this, it is this, it is this! The round and lengthy shape surely screams, “Stuff me!”

If there is a stuffing that never fails, it is potato, potato, potato!

So, I thought of making potato-laden snake gourd barges.

Choose a young snake gourd, cut of both tips, scrape lightly, wash and clean.Cut into equal portions of 6 or more inches. Cut open into two parts and remove the seeds from the middle. Brush outside and inside with a mixture of 1 tsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp salt.
For 10 barges,
Dice potato into small pieces – 1 cup
Onion – ½ cup
Olive oil – 1 table spoon
Balsamic vinegar – 2 tsp
Chili Powder – 3 tsp
Salt – as needed.

Mix everything and stuff the barges.

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake on the top rack for twenty minutes or until done.Serve with cream or sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Idea. Looks delicious.

J said...

Superb idea, and a brilliant name to it, inji! Really liked it!:)

Hey, I left some tips for carrot halwa after your comment on my blog, did you read it?

Mrs. K said...

Hmmm...here a basket of bitter gourds sitting next to my kitchen sink smiling at me right now... and asking "if inji can stuff snake gourds, why can't you stuff us?" What would you do? These bitter gourds are too naughty...I am gonna pickle them! ha!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I missed this one -- what fun! I love snake gourd. Must try!