Feb 19, 2007

Easy Tomato Rasam

I hated rasam. I tasted rasam for the first time when I went to Tamil Nadu one time and I just couldn’t understand what this dark water curry was? We ordered a thali and there it was in a small steel tumbler, some kind of brownish water. I poured it on the rice thinking it was some kind of sambar and I thought the hotel people were fooling us by giving colored water as curry.

I hated that water! First of all, I didn’t know I had to mix it only after the meal as a final lap. And it tastes delicious if you mix it with a little buttermilk. It is even better if you just drink it. All these rasam tricks, I had no clue.

Later, I took some liking to it when I knew about all those tricks.

But, how do you prepare it?

Dal water, Rasam powder, yada...yada...yada.

Oh! I am not going to take so much trouble to make a curry which is not even a curry.

So I never made rasam.

Wait, that is not the end of story. I was visiting a friend of mine in Dallas. She had unexpected guests and she made something quickly for dinner and what did she make? Rasam! No rasam powder, no dal water, nothing. But it tasted soooo good, better than any rasam I had ever had.Here is that recipe. All those rasam aficionados don’t be shocked at this version. Try it and you will love it.

5 ripe tomatoes cut into 4
2 tsp whole peppercorns
½ tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
6 cloves of garlic
3inch tamarind soaked in warm water for some time, squeezed and strained to get the tamarind liquid.
1 tsp sambar powder – optional

Blend all this in a mixer adding ½ cup water.

Heat 1 tsp oil, splutter mustard seeds, pour this mixture and when it starts to boil, simmer for 5 minutes. That’s it. Tomato Rasam is ready! Easy as a breeze isn’t it?A must for any rasam, I have understood is fresh coriander leaves. Garnish with coriander leaves and have it with rice.

10 comments:

വിവി said...

ഓലന്‍ വെച്ചതില്‍ അല്‍പ്പം വെള്ളം കൂടി എന്നതൊഴിച്ചാല്‍ എല്ലാം നന്നായിരുന്നു.[വെള്ളത്തിന്റെ അളവ് കടലാസില്‍ കുറിക്കാന്‍ മറന്നതോണ്ടാണ് ട്ടോ]
ഇനി ഇതാകാം. ബട്ട് ഇന്‍ മാര്‍ച്ച് ഓണ്‍ലി. കാരണം അടുത്ത ആഴ്ച്ച വീട്ടില്‍ പോകുന്നു.

Shah cooks said...

what i want to know is if you haven't made olan and rasam all this while, what is a staple meal at ur house like. very curious now as i thot u were the epitome of mallu cooking. so are u saying rasam is not a kerala dish?

Inji Pennu said...

HAHA, epitome?

Guess you havent read this post.
Hope your misconceptions are cleared :)

This is the first time I posting about this, not that im cooking this for the first time. But I guess I blah blah a lot about the memories that comes with each dish...:-)

FH said...

Unofficial Rasam!! Looks great though,got to make some just to drink without rice!:))

LERA said...

Nice blog with lot's of yummy recipes..liked your Tomato rasam.

Bong Mom said...

Hi Inji
Can I plagiarize content from your Feb 16 post to put up in my blog for the post against yahoo?

Revathi said...

Inji you dont know how many people visit ur blog. put a post suggest a date send links to Indira, shaeen, saffronhut and other friends - you will surely get the support. what about march 1st week instead of one day.. We need to protest this vehemently. And then u can do the round up or I can do roundup, only that I am not posting much these days....Let me know.

Priya Bhaskaran said...

Hey Inji, so much hatred towards rasam--ha ha, I like rasam which is not made at my home. My mom is a expert in making a spoiler version of rasam which always goes wasted...after marriage I learnt to cook rasam and my hubby loves it. I am glad now you have a recipe for rasam:)

Anonymous said...

Ohh i like rasam very much.... and you have a very easy breezy version of it... would definitely give it a try
-Thanxs
Sushma

K~ said...

I was just in India where someone was calling rasam "joke curry". Is that because it is looked down upon or because you think it's curry when it isn't?