Apr 14, 2008

Aviyal

You have mean little brothers you can squeeze and bite and then one fine day they just grow up to be young men you rarely see and they send you an email asking,
'How to make aviyal?'
You put up a big sister show and ask, 'What, you making aviyal?' Then it hits you they are away from home staying at a place where they get aviyal but they terribly miss home food and your heart goes out to them for the FIRST time. :-)

They don’t want to ask anyone else other than you not 'cos you make the best aviyal, but just 'cos they want to feel you are making it for them…. Ooo I am a big sentimental idiot when it comes to little brothers and I kind of feel very lucky the more you have them.

This is the best aviyal I have ever made, just 'cos he asked me the recipe. I asked, 'I will put it on my blog and dedicate it to you, is that okay?' I am sure he rolled his large eyes and shook his head, but he nodded and grunted 'okeeh'

Will there be any other chance for me to embarrass him in front of my friends and to tell him love yoooooooooooouuuuuuu without seeing his disgusting frown.

Sshooo, here it is my darling brother, THE AVIYAL Love! From your sister.

Aviyal has a story behind it, like most of my recipes :-). A king in Travancore hosted a huge feast and the food was so delicious, people took too many second helpings and the food got over quickly.

King panicked and asked his chefs to make more. But since all the vegetables were made to dishes, chefs were forced to make a dish with the left over vegetables. And it suddenly became a big hit. That’s the story on aviyal.

It is Kerala’s most favorite vegetable dish and so easy to comfortable to make. Comfortable in the sense, I raid my refrigerator in the weekend for left over vegetables and whatever comes handy I make aviyal with that. No special vegetables needed.

The basic is quite simple. Mix and match vegetables. Do not use bittergourd since it’s bitterness would dominate the taste of the dish. Do not use beetroot since it would color it pink. Do not use leafy vegetables since they belong some place else.
Most common vegetables used are Carrot, Drumstick, Potato, Raw banana, Snake gourd, beans, Yam etc. And softer vegetables like Pumpkin, Ash gourd, Cucumber, Okra.

Now on to aviyal’s most famous vegetable cutting process. Cut each vegetable in length - the size of your middle finger and the width will be double the size of your finger. I had no clue about this length and size of the aviyal mix and would cut them in any way I want until I did that at my in-laws place and the maid looked at me in horror.

So these are the vegetables I had in store. These need not be the same if you make. There is no hard and fast rule for these. In Kerala, you get aviyal mix in vegetable shops where they cut and give. Or now you get frozen aviyal vegetable mix.

Boil the hard to cook vegetables in a pot with half the measure of water. That is, if you have 3 cups of vegetable, add 1 and half cup water, cook in low flame with enough salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder.

When they are almost cooked, add 1 cup of softer vegetables, mix and cook until the water is completely evaporated. Cover and cook so you don’t need much water. Make sure not to mash the vegetables.

For 4 cups of vegetables, have 1 and half cups of freshly grated coconut and crush them with 1 tsp of cumin seeds and 4 green chilies and enough salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Do not grind to a smooth paste.

We need some sourness for aviyal. You can either mix ½ cup of sour curd or cook one sour mango along with the hard vegetables. I like to add the sour curd. I mix it with the crushed coconut and add to the aviyal. But this time, I added mango pieces.

Add ½ cup water to the crushed coconut and add to the cooked vegetables, mix and cook for two more minutes covered.

Now comes the best part, the coconut oil part. Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil and add a sprig of curry leaves and add to the aviyal and mix. Yes, coconut oil is a must for the real flavour. Hey, don’t give me the cholesterol look. You are eating 4 cups of vegetables and a tsp of oil won’t hurt you.

I learned cooking after marriage out of necessity and so I used to splutter mustard seeds on aviyal until a friend who saw that rolled on the ground laughing. So I have been suffering all the embarrassment for you my friends, so that you make the best aviyal.

Always make sure you add water little by little while cooking vegetables since if you add too much water, it destroys the flavors.

Serve with rice. I just eat it plain. I love it so much…..just like my lovey dovey brother. Hehehe… Haven’t I embarrassed him enough?

- Your loving ‘Precious’ sister ;)

Oh BTW, Happy Vishu to all!

(There was some problem with the feeder and so I reposted it again. Closed the comment section here to avoid confusion. The same post is reposted on April 15th. Thanks.)