Jul 17, 2006

Karinaaranga Curry (Lemon Curry)

What’s the cross between a pickle and a curry? Yeah, it is Karinaaranga Curry!
Melody of flavors in your mouth and even after days of savoring it, you would keep on wondering whether it was a pickle or a curry. Whatever it was, you would go crazy searching for the recipe, asking your friends or googling to recreate it in your kitchen so you could feel it again…
One such dish, my dear friends, is the Lemon Curry.Karinaaranga (That is in Malayalam. A dear blogger Priya searched and read for me, and came up with the name Eureka Lemons) . Alternatively, you can use the Lemons we get here in U.S. Or any other ripe lemon which is not sweet and also not too sour.

Recipe:
2 Big Lemons steamed for 10 minutes until the skin becomes very soft. Cut them open, deseed them and dice them into bite sized pieces. For me, this came up to 3 cups. So if you don’t get the Eureka Lemons, use 4 or 5 Lemons.

Urad Dal, Split Channa Dal, Raw Rice – 1 table spoon each. Roast them in 2 tsp sesame oil. Add 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds to this and 1 sprig of curry leaves and roast. Add ½ tsp of asafotedia powder to this, mix and take off from fire.

Grind together to a fine paste with Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp, Red Chili Powder – 4 tsp, Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
Lime-sized tamarind, soaked in 2 cups of warm water. Squeeze out the sour water. Make sure the tamarind is not too much. If you are not sure, add tamarind water in parts to the curry.

To this tamarind water, add 2 cups of water, ground paste and the lemon pieces. Add salt and cook in low flame until the dish thickens. Add 1 tsp of jaggery or brown sugar to this and mix.

Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil; splutter 2 tsp of mustard seeds and 4 red chilies split and add to this dish.
Serve with rice. It's taste is so unique, I have no other words to describe other than 'seductive'. Stores really well in your refrigerator.

1 comment:

Inji Pennu said...

19 Comments:
At 17/7/06 9:46 AM, Nabeela said...
awesome awesome recipe...it's going on my favorite links...btw, do you think it'll work with lime that are turning yellow...or will it be too sour?

At 17/7/06 10:43 AM, archanat said...
I love naranga curry, thank you for your recipe. It is indeed a pickle of a curry !!!

At 17/7/06 10:57 AM, shilpa said...
I know we call something similar to lemon as 'Naranga', which is usually cut and dried in sun along with salt. This remains good for days and usually used a lot when people just get up from a high fever or other sickness. I do not know what is it called in English though :(.
Your curry looks very tempting to me. I am going to try this soon with lemon.
BTW...after reading your blog, day by day I have started liking Kerala cusine. I didn't know it was this similar to Konkani cusine :).

At 17/7/06 12:01 PM, Krithika said...
your curry indeed looks seductive :-) Thanks for sharing this.

At 17/7/06 12:40 PM, RP said...
Looks so delicious. The only person I know who makes this curry is my grandma. She used to send us bottles of naaranga curry. Don't know why(maybe because I don't have access to that type of naaranga), I never thought about asking her for the recipe. I love it though. Now here is the recipe in front of me! Thanks LG. I will try it with the regular lemons.

At 17/7/06 12:42 PM, Ashwini said...
Drool...I mean really. I just love citrus flavors and cant wait to try an entire curry devoted to it

At 17/7/06 1:16 PM, Sumitha Shibu said...
LG I think this is also served in Onasadya,I too love the citrusy flavour it imparts in rice:)

At 17/7/06 1:20 PM, Sumitha Shibu said...
LG is that cute and curious little girl you?

At 17/7/06 1:23 PM, RP said...
LG, since I have two other lemon pickles in the fridge, I don't want to make a lot of this. But I still want to try. So if my steamed and cut lemon pieces yield 1 cup(8oz standard measuring cup), can I just take 1/3rd of all other ingredients?

At 17/7/06 1:24 PM, Shankari said...
oooooh, why do u do this to us..i would love to eat it with yogurt & rice.

At 17/7/06 1:37 PM, KrishnaArjuna said...
Curry with lemons.. something that I have never seen before..
Won't it be sour or does the jaggery mellow the sourness?

At 17/7/06 2:51 PM, Revathi said...
Who would think my neigbouring state would have such diversified culinary that I have never heard of !! I thought all of us make the same dishes....Not to mention I have a handful of dear mallu friends !!!

Nice to see new authentic recipes...

At 17/7/06 4:02 PM, Immigrant in Canada said...
agree with Shankari.. Whenever I log in to your blog.. I will think.. wht is the new recipe LG posted today? and the moment the page is loaded, I will feel nostalgic and sad.. thinking abt the good old days..
BTW: I don't steam the lemon.. I prick a hole and zap in the microwave for 30 secs..

At 17/7/06 9:14 PM, Kitchenmate said...
it sure looks seductive LG. Sure, i want to feel the citrusly curry flavor! Looks good:)

At 18/7/06 10:02 AM, L G said...
Nabeela, I dont think it will work with Lime since lime is too sour and much more acidic. You would have to use real ripe lemons.

archana, yeah! thanks :)

shilpa,I too was surprised. Maybe both are coastal areas?

krithika, thanks :)

rp, Oh! I felt really nice when I heard that.

ashwini,try it and let me know.
thanks:)

sumitha, I think at some areas. But I havent had it with Ona Sadya
No, thats not me!hehehe.. I can read and write :)

shankari....I think it is real good with just plain rice. If you mix it with curd or something, you really wont get that real flavour.
Try it with plain rice.

krishna, trust me ,it wont be sour.Try adding tamarind in parts,
if you think it is going to be sour.

revathi, yes! actually kerala cuisine is really really different from any neighbouring states. But sadly,many dont cook the real dishes even if you go to a kerala restaurant.Kerala cuisine would compare with Srilankan cuisine actually I think.

Sarah, Do you get karinaaranga? Can you ask whats the orginal English name?

kitchenmate, thanks :) looong time...no post from you?

At 21/7/06 5:02 PM, Garam Masala said...
That looks really good. I am salivating just looking at this! Ok I am making this to get my 100% daily Vitamin C

At 30/7/06 4:51 PM, Manisha said...
LG, this is a must try! I am trying to imagine how lemons, tamarind juice and jaggery will taste in this medley of spices. It can only be heavenly! How long can this be stored in the refrigerator? I am pretty sure that we will go through it in a couple of days but it's good to know in any case!

At 30/7/06 4:59 PM, Manisha said...
Oops, forgot to ask earlier, did you mean Eureka lemon instead of Eurkea lemon?

At 31/7/06 1:28 PM, Inji Pennu said...
Sorry Manisha,It was a typo.
Corrected it.Thanks for pointing it out.