Sep 20, 2009

Art in a Café

Imagine my surprise, walking into a cafe and greeted by none, no servers, no clutter of tables, no clink-clank of cutlery, just a vast space with an array of staring fiberglass dolls of varying colors, and paintings on the wall.

If you are like me, who can stare at a painting or an installation for hours, drink some black coffee and gobble up some rich and delicious cakes, Kashi Art Café is the place for you.

An old Dutch house converted without disturbing any elements of the house, which is so important for me when I visit converted old buildings. Each house each building I believe has a soul and any renovation should not disturb these basic elements.

After you finish staring at the art, you can enter other rooms, where you are welcomed by chairs and tables scattered filling up discreet corners giving the feeling of an art gallery, never a cafe.

Then you see a small kitchen, sitting areas, a coffee corner with Italian Espresso mocha pots, a cake display stand, tables that look like chocolate fondue, open space into the sky, some plants hanging out, an old wall with moisture paint, and people lazing around. Reminded me of old European town squares tucked into a building at Burger Street, Fort Kochi.

For a moment, if you think they are craftily diluting their menu for art, you are wrong. The menu would seem unassuming and light with items like sprout salad and potato soup.

So you think until you order one of those devilish home made cakes. Oo Ma! The best chocolate cake I ever tasted in Kerala. The moment it tickles your taste buds, you are sure they have used the freshest ingredients without cutting any corners. While waiting for my espresso order, I chatted up with Anoop Skaria, the co-owner who must be loving his job tremendously.

He and his wife Dorrie Younger set up this cafe twelve years back in 1997 for their love of promoting art, and also because nothing like that existed in Cochin before. They are both art lovers and collectors and came up with this idea, Anoop says to remind him of Vienna(Austria) which seems to be his favorite place. It would have been really risky to start something like this in Cochin but to everybody's delight they were proved right. They now boast two Art galleries and Kashi Art Café is the most happening place in Fort Kochi.

Kashi Art Café welcomes budding artists and even run resident programs with a stipend for the artists. Skaria tells me with pride, many now famous artists like Upendranath and GopiKrishna started out small from their little cafe.

I ordered a chocolate cake (Rupees 55) and espresso (Rupees 45). They were perfect to the beans. All this along with Barbara Ash's 'Sugar and Spice'.

No wonder you feel connected to this place even at your first visit, with food and art, how could anything go wrong?

(I cannot express enough my gratitude to Thulasi Kakkat, for the extravagant beautiful pictures that accompany this post and for introducing me to Fort Kochi)

Series Reading.
1. A Princess Story
2. Upstairs Italian Cuisine

24 comments:

Finla said...

We always go to this place in Fortcochin when we are there. We found out about the place years ago through the lonley planet guide.
I love that they serve boile water there instead of bottle water to drink.

Kiranz..!! said...

Have you watched the movie Vicky Cristina Barcelona ? Somehow this post is related to a couple of frames of that movie..!

Its indeed a nice observation to have a cafe blended to an art gallery with homey ambiance.Business scope for Keralite art works too !

Sig said...

I've got to explore Kerala a bit more next time!

Anu R said...

Beautiful pictures! Wow. Thanks for the link to Thulasi's blog.

Ann said...

Friends recently went there, they are experts at finding offbeat places, they took some pics, and I was hooked. Your post is the same. it will be a must-visit when I next get to go....

Anonymous said...

Wow I can't believe that I lived most of my life near Fort Kochi and never knew about this cafe.. next trip to India, this is on my to-do list. Thanks for this post.

Anu

Anonymous said...

Been there twice..Nice read ..hey and a terrific "art in a cafe"...

JUSTIN ROY said...

Perfect Place, visited there once.

J said...

nice tag "people living my dreams" :)

Bharathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bong Mom said...

That house looks so beautiful. Want to start something like this, consider me your partner

s said...

i have tons of friends who live close by and this is a fav place...the lovely pics took me back..

Srivalli said...

Those are some lovely pictures Inji..and yes I would love to relax in such a serene place if we ever get one like that here...

jayanEvoor said...

Beautiful place.... sweet pics!

Thanks a lot!

Aparna Naveen said...

You introduced me to different kochi from what i have visited few years back.
Thanks .. lovely post LG

Anonymous said...

Hi Injipennu

Good to see your blog again. I have 2 questions:
1. Where do you get the pre-made egg roll wrappers?
2. What sort of shredded veggies do you put in it?

Thanks!

Arun Panicker said...

hmm it was as good as tasting it ...

Mohanan Kulathummulayil said...

Reslly I am enjoying your mouth watering recipes.........Thanks pennee!!!

shahana said...

firts time in your blog.Sounds interesting

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Unknown said...

I used to spend lot of time at the cafe when I worked in Cochin.

Mohanan Kulathummulayil said...

Hi!
Who is this guys posting comments in East Asian languages. Thier site is not suitable for your blog.
Keep posting new recipes from kerala. I love it

Preethi Rajeev said...

First time here, i just loved your blog. Looks like it's a peaceful place where i can spend like hrs and hrs.Got to visit this place.
I am following you .

preethi

dreamydelights.blogspot.com

Supriya said...

Adorable photos! I landed on your blog a couple of days ag and have added it to my blog list. here is the link:
http://myculinaryexplorations.blogspot.com/