Sep 8, 2009

Idiyappam

Try telling the people in Tamil Nadu, that their staple food iddlis are not theirs but imported from Indonesia. Kakka Kakka, a Tamil film, which I loved, for the major part because of Surya ;) has an amusing scene. In that while the villain is questioning the lady, the co-villain interrupts the main one and asks, "anne pasikkathu, iddli saappittu varenne?" (Brother, I am hungry, can I go and eat some iddlis).

At such a tense moment, I burst out laughing. The dialog was so natural, accurately tamilian, cleverly put into the whole scene, it was amusingly ticklish. Iddlis are taken for granted in Tamil culture.

This post is not about iddlis, but about the stringy idiyappoms. Though as usual like we are proud of everything Malayalee, we are proud of Kerala's 'own' idiyappom too. Now tell that to the Konkanis, the Srilankans (it is called Indiappa....hmm...), the Malaysians etc. These food delicacies have legs, I say. They travel, roam the World, get stuck in various forms and shapes, in various cuisines and in hearts, we defend it as our own.

Idiyappam or String hoppers is a plain rice noodle made fresh. You can use double boiled rice or parboiled or raw.

Roast any rice flour in low flame, stirring constantly until it is just warm to touch. Boil water , add salt and add slowly to this rice in very low heat until it takes on the texture of wet clay. You are going to play with these.

Idiyappam press is similar to a cookie press, but it has an additional filter that will have very tiny holes. Make small balls and press the flour out to a steamer or your idli steamer.
At our home, we add fresh grated coconut between the layers of an idiyappam. First layer of strings, a little bit of coconut, second layer of strings, then a little bit of coconut.

Steam for around 10 minutes like idlis. You dont separate the strings as in a noodle, it is like rice steamed cake, with the texture of strings. Egg curry is a complimentary accompaniment with this breakfast dish.

20 comments:

Kay said...

Idiyappam, any day!!!!! :)

Ann said...

Wow, you make it look so simple. Looks awesome! Seriously - iddlis came from Indonesia???? You may start a war just on that basis.....

soulsearchingdays said...

Hey Inji.

Welcome back. YOu wont believe but I used to check your blog every single day and used to go back sad that you havenot uploaded anything new after April . I though you had again gone in hybernation. So happy to see you back and the idiappams look just great.

Please keep blogging.. your cookings are just awesome.
take care
Rekha

Finla said...

I love love idiyapom, though i have neve rmade them.
I love them with kadals curry more than coconut milk.

Aparna Naveen said...

Hi LG,

I have a big story of making Idiyappam. My DH loves to eat with coconut milk and sugar and i convince my little one that its rice noodles. Addipoli....

Sreelu said...

Inji,

wow these rice noodles seem delicious

Nikhil Narayanan said...

IP,
I have been trying to read up on various palaharams like Idiappam and Putt and have understood that they are all SE Asian and not necessarily authentic.For that matter,even Kanji does not seem to be very Malayalee.
[Let us not talk about Idli, as it is very very recent;even Dosa]


The Story of our food by KT Achaya seems to be the best bet,but have not yet got a copy.

-Nikhil

Divya Kudua said...

I so remember the scene from Kakha Kakha:).

Glad to see you back Inji:)

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Lovely rice strings!

Jayashree said...

I can eat idiyappam and ishtu any time of the day.
I remember reading that article about idlis being from indonesia.

Varsha Vipins said...

idiyappam mutta curryy..aaahh..I sorely miss it..I am planning to get a press next time on my kerala visit ..:)

Rathi said...

Hello

I bumped into your blog from saffrontail blog. Its so interesting and thought provoking to read your blog. I will try to visit this very often by bookmarking your blog. I live in LA and trying to come up with a small garden at my home. I have a plantain tree, fig tree, basil and avarakkai plants at my home. Targeting for kodi murungai, sundakkai etc. And I have been trying to get karpoora valli plant and searched around all the nurseries around my place, but not found one. Can you suggest me a where I can get that indian type karpoora valli, any seeds or green twig?

Thanks
Rathi
rathi3011@yahoo.com.sg

Inji Pennu said...

Rathi, I am not sure. I get it from India or from my neighbors.

Anonymous said...

the hindu had an article on cyber cooking that featured you ...im happy to see the person behind this blog...congratulations and keep up the good work.

bini

Miri said...

You are such a life saver - after learning to make appams from your blog , i can now embark on the idiyappam project!! Thanks!

Mandira said...

I had it at a friend's place a few year's back, yours looks delicious!

ബാലചന്ദ്രൻ ചുള്ളിക്കാട് said...

some people believe that idiyappam was intoduced by chinease traders in the past.

Mohanan Kulathummulayil said...

When I created a blog on confectionary, I thought it is the first among keralite bloggers. But very soon I heard about your blog. Eversince Iam watching your blog, there is no new posting since April.Why?.I have few more quiries. 1.Are you a fulltime professional in cookery? 2.where you getting all these recipes?
Pleasse visit my blog http://kulathum-confectioners-blog.blogspot.com . You can enjoy some Arab sweets familiar int Kuwait.

Anusree said...

Nice one..chk out mine http://mykitchen-anu.blogspot.com/

Knorr Soup said...

Anything steamed is healthy and retains all its nutritional values and flavours. Idiyappam is a tasty delicacy, and when taken with the exquisite vegetable laden kurma or the yummy vegetable stew, can be a full and complete meal. Today, with more and more lifestyle related diseases like obesity and diabetes plaguing us Indians, such a recipe would do us a world of good, not to mention cater to our taste buds! For some expert tips on healthy eating habits check out our blog at http://knorratseven.blogspot.com/