Aug 16, 2006

Bittergourd Theeyal

Tired attending the parade?
Let me make you some rice and theeyal? :-)

I think every Malayalee has a slightly different way of preparing theeyal. It is a very Kerala type dish.Theeyal can be made with so many different vegetables and ulli theeyal (shallots) is the most delicious one.I make it usually with bitter gourd. As we all know bitter gourd is so good for you and when prepared as theeyal, its bitterness doesn’t bother you.Bittergourd deseeded - 2 diced into bite sized pieces about 3 cupsCoconut - 1 cup.
Shallots diced – ¼ cup, Curry leaves – a sprig, Coriander seeds(or powder) – 2 tsp, Chili powder – 2 tsp

Heat ¼ tsp coconut oil and fry the coconut and shallots(shallots is very important) until light brown in color. I actually don’t fry them in oil. I don't like too much oil so I dry roast them. Sauté curry leaves also for one minute.

Add coriander seeds to this, sauté well. Add chili powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder and take off from fire. Grind to a smooth paste.

Soak a 1 inch square sized tamarind in warm water.Heat 1 tsp coconut oil. Splutter mustard seeds and 1 sprig of curry leaves. Sauté 1 tsp of diced shallots and add bitter gourd to this. Fry the bitter gourd until it the skin light brownish. Add the strained tamarind water to this and the ground paste.

When the curry thickens, remove from fire. Set it aside for 15 minutes. Theeyal stays good the next day without refrigeration.Serve with rice or dosa, idli, appam etc.

See Priya's Theeyal

1 comment:

Inji Pennu said...

15 Comments:
At 16/8/06 8:46 PM, Menu Today said...
Hi LG,
My Son likes "BitterGourd" in any form.This recipe is new to me, I will try this and let you know. Thanx for sharing.

At 16/8/06 10:24 PM, Manisha said...
Hey! Do you have a recipe for sambar with karela? Or is that a Tamilian recipe?

At 16/8/06 10:46 PM, Priya Bhaskaran said...
IP, Me and my husband are crazy for this curry. We both like any form of bitter gourd, infact I buy bittergourd every week. Will try your version soon!!!

At 16/8/06 11:01 PM, Diane said...
I just picked two bitter gourds at the farmer's market yesterday - not knowing how exactly I felt like preparing them. Now I know!

I had this theeyal when I was in kerala two years ago, and loved it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

At 17/8/06 5:48 AM, shammi said...
Aha, another bittergourd recipe to try! I'm bookmarking this one, ingi! :)

At 17/8/06 7:09 AM, indianadoc said...
Ha! it has been a while that I have made theeyal at home that I have almost forgotten hw to make! Enikku Kaipakka venda...cos the bitter gourd that we get here is often too cruelly bitter....So Enikku Ullitheeyal venam!! :)

At 17/8/06 7:32 AM, Krithika said...
Another good recipe of bitter gourd. Your theeyal looks delicious. Have you used Chinese bitter gourd in your recipe ?

At 17/8/06 7:53 AM, RP said...
That was so sweet of you to make some rice and theeyal for us after the parade. I too forgot how to make this because I like to make this with that white kind of bittermelon you used. I get the dark green ones here which are too bitter. Just remembered that someone has requested me for this theeyal recipe, but i totally forgot about it until I see this. I am going to give this link. :)

At 17/8/06 11:09 AM, indosungod said...
looks good, ingi, that is one more recipe of bitter gourd to try for me.

At 17/8/06 12:01 PM, Diane said...
RP - not sure what you mean by "white" bitter melons, but here in CA the light green big melons are more common than the little green ones. You can find the dark green, pointy ones too, but typically only at Indian markets. The larger "Chinese" ones seem to be a bit milder and are available everywhere - every asian market has them, plus some supermarkets too.

If you like those, you should check out the local Chinese/Vietnamese markets in your area. They may have them.

At 17/8/06 1:28 PM, Nabeela said...
Hi LG, just wanted to tell you I e-mailed you my GBP etry, did you get it?

At 17/8/06 4:56 PM, Shaheen said...
are u sure thats pavakai theeyal? its looks yummily like mutton curry. how do u get rid of the bitterness of the bitter gourd? or is the curry a little on the bitter side? do u have a recipe for shallots(ulli) theeyal?

At 18/8/06 8:26 AM, Prema Sundar said...
Hi Lg,
I have had ulli theeyal in 'coconut groove' , a kerala type restaurant in Bangalore. Me and my husband liked it. UR recipe with bittergourd is interesting. would love to try out.

At 18/8/06 11:37 AM, Chandrika said...
Thanks for the recipe, LG...I love bittergroud and this sure sounds very tasty...

At 19/8/06 9:09 AM, jac said...
Wow !