Jan 19, 2011

Deadly Rite

You must have already read about the stampede that killed more than a hundred people at Sabarmila, the second most visited religious place in India. Sabaramala, is in Kerala, my home state, the recipes posted here I flavor with.

This is not about religion or a belief of a certain ritual. But it is about a scam, a huge fraud, conducted ritually every year by the Govt of Kerala under the auspicious authority of Devawasom Board (Administration for Temples). Makara jyoti is lit by the Dewasom Board, by Kerala State Electricity Board and with the nod of Forest Department every year. Almost everybody in Kerala knows about this and we stay away wisely. If you notice in this stampede only two people from Kerala died and rest all from different states.

Whether you believe in religion or not is not what it matters. But this is a state sponsored scam to attract religious tourism to the state. Please be aware of this. Tell this to your friends. There is absolutely no facilities of crowd management or disaster management in these places. Please visit Sabarimala during non-peak times and wisely.

5 comments:

Anjali Koli said...

Inji I am not a Keralite myself but a very senior Namboothiri who is in no way connected to Devasom or Kerala govt explained this. Makar jyoti is a star that appears on the horizon at the time and the Makar vilakku (lamp) is the torch lit in the jungles by the forest department. Your suggestion to visit during non peak seasons is absolutely right about any place where people like to crowd especially places of worship. That's the only reason I personally have avoided Tirupati, Sabarimala, Guruvayoor till now. I keep away from all madness of Ganapati festival and Navaratri in Mumbai and prefer to celebrate it at home or really small non hyped places. It is good the educate people about this incident but with proper information.

Anonymous said...

I didn't want to comment on this as everybody knows what exactly your intention is. I am wondering your pseudo
morality is not working on when Govt uses the same money for the whole state, where as the other religious institutions such as churches and mosques has full right to manage their money.I didn't see any post on when thousands killed in Meca. I did not see any post on Potta Christian Dhyana Kendra at Muringoor killing issues either.I did not see any post or use of the word "scam" when vatican covers the sexual abuses on innocent children..


Please do not write on these things any more. Keep your thoughts and intelligence in small things like inji and mango !!!

Inji Pennu said...

Anonymous, understand your frustration. Let me be clear that, I posted this because the state is doing this. And yes, they have to provide more facilities and crowd management if they are doing a scam of this proportion.

Unknown said...

yah,i think it is very good.thanks my dear friend and i will come next time.thanks.

Radhika said...

I hate going to any crowded place - and with the kind of crowd that I see at Sabarimala (on TV - safe on the couch), it seems like a common sense thing to do - stay away. People do seem to feel so strongly about the place/time, so I really don't know what to say..anyone I know going there I make sure I ask them: "Won't it be really crowded? What if you get pushed by the crowd?" :D :D